Welcome to our Palm Tree Lodge – my family’s renovation project at Rainbow Beach. This has been a dream of ours to own our little seaside getaway, a place where we can make fun memories for our girls and a home away from home. Away from routine, schedules and a place to re-charge and re-connect. Oh plus Shannon (my husband) & the girls surfs so…. Bingo! Surf shack!
My husband and I are not newbies to this RENO game & we know that old homes kick you in the face with problems but we certainly took on this project with our eyes wide open in early October 2018. Which is what it did, with glue not coming off the concrete slab (we had to bring in the big gun sander), our Electrician’s had to take the roof off every time we need to add in a fan or light due to no roof cavity, merging the old with the new always is painful, the design challenge of it being a compact home and my husband (bless his soul) being my worst client ever haaaaa. (You know I had to say that darling)
Now for the speed read of design elements -
Design concept of black, white and Navy. My core values for this home was it to be inviting and relaxing space and that we could all feel connected. I didn’t want the home to be all about the TV but more about the outdoor area and connection to the kitchen which is always the hub. I wanted the spirit of this holiday home rise again into the modern now.
What I loved about designing this home -
- We could not have pendants from the ceiling, so this offered for myself to look at alternative lighting designs. I love Black wall ‘Arm’ light over the kitchen bench and all the wall lighting that can be directed to different areas. One of my favourite features.
- As the home did not have any space for a traditional ‘dining room’ I designed the drop down bench/table that is the same height as a dining table. I added 2 chairs and 2 stools so the stools can be tucked under while in the kitchen.
- In the kitchen I didn’t want the space to have overheads on both sides, so I love the long but narrow timber shelf to add interest and also I can style with different items and it be forever changing.
- Creating the VJ panel wall in the living space to give the home some charter and getting so many shades of navy until the vote was British Paints Kara Sea. Perfect really.
- As the kitchen needed some texture and substance. White cabinets and tiles would have been the safest design choice but I wanted to add the surprise of adding mini black herringbone splash back tile with concrete look bench top with black cabinets feature wall.
- The out door space – it is massive now and opens onto the back yard. Great for more air flow, light and more usable for the large kitchen window and ‘cocktail bar’ (as I call it)
- The bathroom is small layout but we kept all the internal walls. So I added a tile feature around the custom vanity plus a glass shower door. I wanted thicker black grout for more of a punchy impact ! I love it as it hits you in the face as you walk into the bathroom but my favourite details are the black penny rounds on the floor.
And now the Thank You’s to our professional team, we couldn’t have done this without you on 2 months time frame.
Craig our handyman/all rounder support and for being on board for all our crazy ideas.
Kitchen, vanity and laundry custom cabinetry – Trend Set Kitchen Gympie (you are the BEST In the biz)
Painters – Nick and team from NJM Painting who painted and painted the timber ceiling beams Dulux Lexicon white THANK YOU
Plumber – Laurie - went over and beyond this job description, this job was tricky!
Electrician – Jecico, Belinda and team from Next Generation Electrix Gympie. Amazing service and thanks for everything.
Tiler – M and M Tiling. The work is wonderful
Rob the builder for the outdoor structure – It’s the best space
All Lighting & Fans – Annabelle from Lighthouse Noosa, You are amazing
Tiles supplied – Coolum Stone and Tile Studio. Thanks for the instore coffees and ordering in my herringbone tiles. My fav feature.
Tapware – Nicole and Carman from Noosa and Gympie Reece Plumbing. Absolutely the loveliest people to deal with ( I could give you a hug right now).
Floors by – Floor Zone Gympie.
All furniture and accessories will be tagged in over on our Instagram, want to know more about these final touches? Jump across to @palmtreelodge or @stylelifehome
Friends who helped us with demolition and chainsaw action, we can’t wait to celebrate with you at our cocktail bar.
And, as I just finishing the styling on the weekend I must admit I had 1 massive melt down (bound to happen) and that was because I couldn’t figure out the coffee machine ! YEP.. It’s the small things that push you over the edge! We came all this way with me not loosing it, butttt it was bound to happen. (Sorry to my girls and my husband).
Now it’s all ‘ready’ for us for our first Christmas and for you all to enjoy as your next holiday destination with your family and for you to make special memories and relax.
Our AirBnB link and available from 28th December -
Follow us on our Insta @palmtreelodge1
Thinking of renovating or re-designing in 2019? We would love to help you as we know first hand the highs, lows and have the team that makes things happen.
Just before you go, thought you might like to view the home before images and see the transformation created.